Let’s face it, bohemian box braids are dope. They’re a 90’s inspired protective style that keeps your ends tucked, and they’re gorgeous, too. But once your box braids are installed, you aren’t limited to wearing your hair down. There are dozens of beautiful bohemian box braid styles that can be done in minutes. We’ve rounded up 15 box braid styles that are perfect for your next summer soiree, a day at the pool or a brunch with your girlfriends. Keep reading to learn more about these braiding hairstyles.
1. Top KnotTop knots are a go-to for practically any occasion. From hitting the gym to a dinner party with the girls, this simple updo is totally fitting. To create a top knot with bohemian braids, try twisting them into a more uniform bun. This will create more of an elegant look than a messy bun. For an even smoother look, apply Black Vanilla Moisture & Shine Leave-in Conditioner before styling.
2. Half-Up, Half-DownThis classic style works on bohemian box braids, too. Gather the top half into a bun or a ponytail, the choice is truly yours. To keep your braids free of frizz, apply Wash Day Delight Cream Serum Hair Moisturizer Aloe the ends to keep them springy and fresh. It’s perfect for box braids with curls.
3. Add AccessoriesBox braids are the perfect opportunity to rock hair accessories. From gilded rings to neon ribbon, the possibilities are endless.
4. Side BraidThere’s no such thing as too many braids, so gathering all of your box braids to one side and creating an oversized plait is super cute and chic. It’s a go-to on a hot summer day and it’s one of those do-it-on-the-go hairstyles we like to refer to when we’re short on time.
5. Low ponyA slicked-back pony is still possible, even with bohemian box braids. Simply pull your braids straight back or create a middle or side part and gather at the nape of the neck. There’s something about a low ponytail that is elegant and edgy at the same time.
6. Space bunsIf you want a style that’s fun and flirty, try creating two space buns with your bohemian box braids. To create space buns, part the hair in half and create two pigtails toward the crown of the head. Once your pigtails are secured, wrap the box braids around the base of the ponytail to create a bun and secure with bobby pins or clips.
7. Side-swept locksHighlight one side of your face by sweeping all of your box braids to one side. To keep the braids in place, use bobby pins or mini claw clips and tuck them under the hair so they can’t be seen. If your box braids are looking dry or dull, add a dime-size amount of serum like the Goddess Strength Hair Oil.
8. Braided LOBBohemian box braids don’t have to be waist-length. Create a short ‘do, buy installing box braids that are chin length. But before you install any protective style like box braids, be sure to use a deep conditioning hair mask like the Goddess Strength Repairing Cocoon Mask. It helps to protect hair from breakage and keeps strands moisturized, too.
9. Add a headband or hair scarfHeadbands and hair scarves are classic accessories that pair perfectly with box braids. If you’re using a headband, refrain from options that are tight and restricting. You don’t want any tugging at the hairline that can cause breakage. When using a headband, be sure to keep your edges smooth by applying a small amount of the Wash Day Delight Hair Gel to Foam Styler Aloe. It provides a natural-looking hold that keeps frizz and flyaways at bay.
10. Dutch braidsAgain, braids on top of braids are never a bad idea. Create a sporty look by braiding your bohemian braids into two Dutch braids. You can make the Dutch braids as tight or as loose as you’d please.
11. High ponytailPonytails are classic and will never go out of style. Sporting a high ponytail with long box braids is effortless, but head-turning at the same time. To care for your hair between styles, try the Black Vanilla Conditioning Hair Set.
12. Crown braidThis style works best on braids that are waist-length or longer. To create a crown braid, create two plaits at the base of the neck and wrap them all the way around the head and secure with a bobby pin. This style pairs beautifully with a summer dress or with tops that have intricate detailing on the neckline.
13. Tucked-In PonyThe truth is, you’ve probably sported a tucked ponytail more often than you know. To create this style, gather your hair into a ponytail (high or low) and pull the hair through into a loop. Allow the ends of your bohemian box braids to hang loose and voila! You’ve created a tucked-in ponytail.
14. Braided BowFor a pro-level look that’s sure to catch eyes, secure a section or all of your hair into a high ponytail. Remember that half-tuck from the tucked in ponytail? You want to create that same loop, but be sure to keep the loose part of your hair on the bottom of the bun. Next, separate the knot into two and bring the loose strands over and around the two parts. Tuck and secure the ends and you’ve accomplished a red carpet-worthy style in just minutes. If you’re worried about frizz, prep your hair with a moisture mask like Coco Creme Curl Quenching Deep Moisture Mask.
15. Braided UpdoThere’s no right or wrong way to create an updo. From bantu knots to swirls and twirls, the options are endless. Just be sure to keep all your hair off of your neck and out of your face and you can create just about any bohemian box braid updo style you desire.